West Synod is the oldest of all the EECMY synods and it is the area where evangelical pioneers, both nationals and foreign missionaries began evangelical enterprise in the 19th Century. The places Bodji and Nedjo are well known for of being evangelical beginnings and for being the cradle of the EECMY. The Synod is also known for being a place where group of Evangelical Christians organized themselves and became churches or congregations. Therefore, the Synod is known as the birth place of the EECMY since the first preachers of the gospel were able to preach the gospel at the place called Bodji Karkaro and had the first evangelical Christian converters. It is significant to see that the Head Office of the Synod is locate at this place.
Kes Gebre- Euwostatewos and Daniel Debela arrived Bodji in the year 1898, where the then Governor of Wollega had made his head quarters. The Governor warmly welcomed these pioneering preachers of the gospel because he was taken by surprise because they preached the Gospel and sang in the Orormo lanuage. He allowed them to teach the Bible that is translated in to Oromo language. Onesmos Nessib, who had translated the whole Bible in the Oromo language, had arrived in Nedjo in the year 1904. He was also warmly received by the governor. Onesimos started school and also continued with teaching the Bible. Later on the Swedish Evangelical Mission station at Nedjo and the German Hermansburg Mission Station at Aira had backed the holistic ministry if the Synod. Later on other committed local leaders and preachers continued the Gospel ministry there.
The former Western Synod was organized into three synods in the year 2001, namely the present Western Synod with its Headquarters at Bodj, Birbir Dilla Synod with its Headquarters at Aira and Gimbi Jorgo Synod with its Headquarters at Gimbi, and Begi Gidami as Area work at first and which was later on organized at Synod level. Abay Dabus Synod at Mendi is established in the year 2009.
Currently WS has 18 parishes, 315 congregation with 202,679 members. It renders its service with 116 pastors, 121 evangelists and 12,405 volunteers. It has three outreach areas known as Ma’o Area, Yaso and Meteke beyond Abbay River and towards Amhara Region.
The Synod is carrying out its basic ministries of the Church through its various Departments like Administration, Department of Mission and Theology, Administration and Finance, DASSC Branch Office that is given the responsibility for Development and social services the communities, Women Ministry, Youth and Children Ministry.
The Synod had planned to reach Afar and Harar in the year 2014. The outreach ministry of the Synod is funded by the congregations and parishes that are organized in clusters and assigned to the places and are effectively rendering their ministries with winning people for the kingdom of God. The yearly budget of the Synod outreach ministry is currently 1.2 million Birr, without including the fund provided by the partner such as NMS which is taking part in the ministry for about four decades and RCA.
The Synod parishes and congregations are also participating in the development and Diakonia ministry by planting trees, spring development, and other community development activities with having yearly celebration known as “ WS Green Day” on every July 8 (Hamle 1) on which teaching about environmental management is given at each and every congregation. The synod DASSC Branch office is also effectively working on community development and food security projects.