History in Brief
The History of the EECMY-Central Synod (CS) goes back to the arrival of Onesimus Nasib (Hikaa Awajji), the Pioneer Oromo Evangelist and translator of the Bible into Afaan Oromo in 1904. The coming of Onesimus to Nekemte with copies of the Bible in Afaan Oromo (Oromo language) had very significant role in the history of evangelical faith. We can say that it is a turning point for the Oromo People to see any literature in their own vernacular language and to hear the word of God read in their own tongue. When Onesimos arrived at Nekemte, he was welcomed by the governor of the region, Dejazmach Gebre-Egziaber (kumsa Moroda). Onesimus gave a copy of the Bible to the Governer and continued distributing other copies for free to others. The availability of the Bible in Afaan Oromo created curiosity to many people including the Orthodox priest.
The governor of Wallaga, took Onesimus with him and moved to Nejo the same year he arrived. When the governor moved back to Nekemte in 1905, he took Onesimus back to Nekemte to stay close to him and establish a school. In 1905, Onesimos and Aster Gannoo started evangelistic enterprises in their own house. Aster Gannoo was teaching at girls’ school. Due to the pressure from the Orthodox priests, Onesimos was restricted to preach and teach the Bible. But he continued preaching the Gospel and winning converts at his own home.
The work started by Onesimus spread to other places nearby Nekemte town. When the work needed more support and organization, the first Swedish missionary Dr. E.D Soderstrom was sent to Nekemte by Swedish Evangelical Mission and arrived in Nekemte 1922 to serve as a medical Doctor. In the subsequent years a Hospital was built in Nekemte near the Mission station by the support from the Swedish Evangelical Mission. In 1924, the first evangelical congregation was consecrated and 150 people were registered as the first members of Nekemte Congregation.
The evangelical faith quickly spread to many other places with signs and wonders. Congregations were established at different places and the Central Synod was established in 1961 three years after the EECMY was constituted as a National Church.
ONESIMUS NASSIB, Evangelist and translator of the Bible into Afaan Oromo lived from 1856-1931
The CS celebrated its 50th year Golden Jubilee in the year 2011 with very colorful celebration as you can see from the next pictures.
Photo of Mission Conference in Nekemte , 2011
Photo taken at the Conference
According to current statistics of the EECMY, the CS is the largest and fast growing Synod. There are 470 congregations and 217 preaching places organized in 26 Parishes. There are 375 pastors and 369 evangelists serving at different levels of the Synod.
The Synod Office is located in Nekemte town about 330 km West of Addis Ababa. There are different ministries and departments that are organized to carry out the Holistic Ministry of the Synod. The Synod is organized under General Administration Office, Personnel Office, Internal Audit service, Legal Service and Self Reliance Section. The next basic department is The Department of Mission and Theology comprising Outreach section, University Students’ Ministry and Literature Section. The Department of Finance comprises Accounting Section, Store service and Logistics. The other important Offices are Youth Coordination Office, Women Coordination Office.
The CS Development and Social Services Commission (CS - DASSC)
“As the policy of the EECMY is “Serving the Whole Person” the CS carries out the Development or Diaconal services to the communities within its catchment areas through SC-DASSC Branch Office. CS Development and Social Services Commission Branch Office comprises the following Sections: CS DASSC Administration Office, CS DASSC Finance Office and Projects and programs Section.
Within the CS there are twenty six Parishes (26) operating in five zonal administrative regions which are the catchment areas of Synod. (See the Map to find the parishes)
Nekemte Christian Education College (NCEC) is one of the regional Seminaries of the EECMY established in 1995 and currently offering different Theological trainings from certificate to the Degree level courses in practical Theology. There are 7 Bibles schools at Parish levels that are engaged in training pastors for the ministry for serving the congregations. For more information please see the following information.
This picture is Nakamte Christian Education Meeting Hall - "Onesimus Nassib Hall ",
named after the great evangelist and translator, Onesimus Nasib
The College offers theological trainings at diploma and degree levels through regular residential studies, night extension programs, and TEE programs.
The current President of Central Synod is
Rev. Asefa Wayesa
His Contact address: